Text to Speech Resources
- WestEd’s Using Technology to Support Diverse Learners contains links to a slide show, handouts, and related materials for professional developers (technology coordinators and inclusion teachers) that are helping teachers integrate technology into the curriculum to support diverse learners.
- This Access-to-Print document (.doc) is a brief summary of twelve examples of software that support Text-to-Speech reading.
- The “Using Text-to-Speech Technology Resource Guide” is a tutorial that provides background information about the text-to-speech (TTS) technology, ideas for how to use TTS, and information about acquiring digital text. doc
- TechMatrix – CITEd’s newly updated TechMatrix will help you to find the technology tools that your students need. Search by subject, learning support, feature and/or product list in order to identify tools for your students and your setting. Customize your matrix results, and share your search with colleagues.
- Listing of supported reading software; this listing is not an endorsement of these programs, but rather a non-exhaustive overview of software that supports reading of digital text.
- Commercial e-text and online resources
- Text to MP3 Conversion
- “ScriptVOX™ Studio is easy to use text-to-speech software for writers that can open up a new window on your creativity. Writers can import a screenplay, movie script, documentary or even a children’s story. ScriptVOX will allow you to quickly add voices and images to your text. You can even save your multimedia presentation and share it with others.”
Foreign Language Voices for TTS
TTS for Math
Math TTS: aside from custom MATHML-enabled applications like MathSpeak (http://www.mathspeak.org/)
Products from Design Science (http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathdaisy/) see the Design Science application comparison chart here: http://www.dessci.com/en/solutions/access/atsupport.htm
Suggested Installations for Browsing the Web
FireFox – a browser (to download and install, click: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/)
- Click Speak reads web pages that are opened in Firefox (download free at http://clickspeak.clcworld.net/downloads.html)
- CLC-4-TTS Suite with CLiCk, Speak – Bundle Pack 1.5 (Firefox extension) – click on all three icons to install the complete program
Internet Explorer a browser that is typically installed on computers.
- Natural Reader reads web pages that are opened in Internet Explorer (download free at http://www.naturalreaders.com/download.htm)